Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Blog Post #6


            There are always secrets people don’t want you to know about, and I for one was completely oblivious to this Las Vegas secret. Such a massive thing being overlooked by so many people is astonishing. 300 plus miles of storm drains beneath a city such as Vegas is expected, but the unnoticed truth of people living so close to the dazzling lights, but at the same time far off in the distance from this reality is an ignored truth of the Vegas residence. As Adam Burch from NPR put it “Then again that may be too real. As I surveyed the tourists no one was checking out the gutters, everyone was looking up at the dazzling lights.”

            After hearing about the underbelly of Las Vegas it opens my eyes to the supposedly spectacular city that never sleeps. As our generation has been brought up we’ve always been told the famous quote “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.” Which is exactly what happened. I have heard so many things about Las Vegas, the parties, the night life, never sleeping, the massive bill boards of neon signs, the beautiful women, basically a place you can put all your chips on the table and it can make or break you. I’ve watched countless movies about it, but never once have I heard the reality of this city. For some reason, this crazy idea of homeless people not making it big has been completely wiped from my memory. It seems the big shot casinos don’t want you to think about this truth. They want a perfect image portrayed to tourists, riches beyond imagination, rolling in money, girls (or guys) on both sides of your arm, and then you go home forgetting about this great vacation. The marketing of Vegas has overlooked this truth reviled by Adam Burch and it has honestly shattered this idea of a perfect city.

No comments:

Post a Comment