Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blog Post #9

Seeing how the first words my brother spoke to me while I was an infant still in the hospital was “put it back” I know all too well the struggle of having an older bother.  This article of memes regarding the pains of having an older brother growing up is accurate in many, but I feel it not so accurate in other aspects, but that just may be for me.

            The memes that I think are original and portray this subject very well are number 19, 18, and 14. Number 19 is something I know all too well, and this meme does a nice job of showing the double-sided “love” of an older sibling. Without the text to me it would just be about normal occurrence, of being picked on by an older sibling, but the addition of the sarcastic words “Can you feel the love?” adds a whole new interpretation to the meme. This sarcastic phrase implies that everyone thinks the older sibling is doing something nice and loving all the time when they are really trying to annoy or hurt the younger sibling 90 percent of the time. This specific meme relies on the words to show the meaning behind it, but the video is complimentary reinforcing the point. The hierarchy in this meme would be words then gif in order of importance.


            What I thought was inaccurate; maybe specific for me was the meme number eleven. It is a good meme conveying the creator’s intent very nicely, but it doesn’t fit for me although it does fit for the subcategory as a whole. The hierarchy of this specific meme is the picture then the words as the picture is conveying the main point and the words are a guide of interpretation after looking at the picture.  This meme made me chuckle and I thought was quite original because I have never seen it before, being an avid Reddit memer.

No comments:

Post a Comment